Re: XmlRpc and JDK 1.3

Michele Laghi wrote:

> I think that the cause of trouble is the following:
>
> in jdk1.2.2 the Post command results in
> POST / HTTP/1.0
>
> while with jdk1.3 it results in
> POST  HTTP/1.0
>
> This causes a parsing error in the xmlrpc server.
Ahh!
I have found following statement:

   http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/compatibility.html

(section 11 about java.net.URL)

11. The behavior of java.net.URL has changed slightly for cases in which
a URL instance is constructed from a String. In previous versions of the
Java platform, a final slash ('/') would be added to a URL when the URL
was constructed without one. For example, consider this code:

URL url = new URL("http://www.xxx.yyy";);
System.out.println(url.toString());

In previous releases, this code would produce the following output.

http://www.xxx.yyy/

In 1.3, the trailing slash is not automatically appended, so that the
output of the above code is now

http://www.xxx.yyy

The previous behavior was technically a bug, and it is not expected that
this change will cause any compatibility problems with previous
releases.

> Can somebody tell me which version is correct, so that we can direct
> the bugfix either to jdk1.2.2, jdk1.3 or xmlrpc

I believe we need to make xmlrpc fault tolerant to accept
both ways, i'll have a look into it.

Marcel Ruff
mailto:ruff at swand.lake.de
http://www.lake.de/home/lake/swand/