Re: gnu autoconf

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Marcel Ruff wrote:

>> >You have testet it with SGI and Linux, possibly
>> >Heinrich Götzger could cross-check it on his HPUX.
>>
>> I possibly really could do that ;-)
>>

>> >If Heinrich has time to do so, he could contact you
>> >to get the autoconf pieces.
>>
>> What I need would be some hints on how to install autoconf/automake and
>> get it running.
>> Right now I have a D270 with HP-UX 10.20 available.
>> But a bigger problem would be to get a good java (1.2 or 1.3) on my system
>> since HP supports Java2 only for 11.x as far as I know.
>
>You are right, only JDK 1.1 is available for HPUX 10.20
>so no cross checking is possible.
>Thanks nevertheless.

Well, you know just when you need it, it comes from a nice place to help
you....
I just found a removable HDD for one of our upcoming projects which has
11.0 running with JDK 1.2.2 (R 1.2.2.0.4) installed on it :-)

I could plug it in one of our systems during a low traffic time slot and
test all the stuff.

But I still need autoconf/automake support/help/hints because it isn't
installed on that HDD for sure and I've never worked with it before.

>> An other question came up to me, how does it affect the build.xml which is
>> used by ant?
>
>This would be parallel to the make stuff.
>Using build.xml for C++ is somewhat tricky i believe.
>Ant is missing control directives like <if> <while> etc.
>which makes it unusable for some tasks.

You're right, but Corry wants to autoconf the Java-Stuff as well.

Cory Bennett wrote:     [in an earlier posting]
[...]
> make session.  I didnt really wany to debug the Makefiles, so I got the CVS and
> tried to autoconf the java code.  I am not an autoconf expert, but I borrowed
> most of the macros from the apache jserv project.  Now autoconf/automake seems
> to be working fine for the src/java, testsuite/org, and demo/javaclients
> directories in my CVS tree.  And the server and clients built from it seem
> good.

Best regards

Heinrich