Re: [xmlblaster-devel] JDK1.4 and noblocking socket IO

Cyrille Giquello wrote:
Hi Marcel,

Thanx for consultation !

My idea it's to do not use JDK1.4 yet.
I'm afraid about all other applications that use jdk1.2 and xmlBlaster.
Perhaps we'll meet some uncomptible stuffs....
For exemple I'm using jdk1.2 on a IBM/AS400. I don't know about jdk1.4 on that kind of
dinausore !

Ok, my question was not 100% serious. I know we need to keep 1.2 compatibility for a while.

I have thought of hiding non blocking behind a wrapper,
possibly simulation JDK 1.4 feature with threads behind the
same interface.
But it takes me too long for now.
May my grandchildren one day port the thread code to
some event-none-blocking framework.

thanks,

Marcel

PS: Did anyone dig into JMX already?
Couldn't it be a nice plugin framework for us?

Cyrille. a blaster user ;o)

Marcel Ruff a écrit :

Salute,

i have to make a design decision for the callback framework.

It is

  threaded with blocking socket (JDK 1.2 - 1.4)

versus

  event driven with none blocking sockets (since JDK 1.4).

I personally prefer the event driven way, it performs better
and does not consume thread resources.
On multi processor machine (say over 4 CPU) the threaded approach
gains a bit again.
The best solution is probably a mix.

Now my question:

Going the none blocking way binds us to JDK 1.4!
Is this a problem for anybody?

-- Marcel Ruff mailto:ruff at swand.lake.de http://www.lake.de/home/lake/swand/ http://www.xmlBlaster.org