Re: [xmlblaster-devel] clustering

David Kantowitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just a quick idea to drop in the mix for clustering.

Hi David,

thanks for your input.

> Have you considered using a group communication protocol instead of a
> master/slave routing tree?

For lookup/discovery i have planned to use multicast as one possibility
as well, i wanted to borrow it from JINI :-)
They have a well defined discovery schema, which i thought to
use.
The problem with this approach is that i don't like it very much,
it must be an optional possibility.
I had a lot of trouble with 'osagent' the discovery of the Visibroker
CORBA implementation - you never know what happens.

> See:
>   http://javagroups.sourceforge.net/

This is a cool tool, probably a simpler approach than JINI discovery
and ready implemented.
As soon as basic xmlBlaster clustering is running (i hope the next days)
i need to play with it.

>   http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/Projects/Ensemble/index.htm
>
> JavaGroups provides an implementation in java of several different
> protocol stacks. Ensemble is written in ML, but there are C++ stacks
> available for the Ensemble protocol.
>
> There is plenty of material to fan out from these two links.

Yes, there are more solutions around than i've expected,
the performance of some of those tools is impressive.

Marcel Ruff
mailto:ruff at swand.lake.de
http://www.lake.de/home/lake/swand/
http://www.xmlBlaster.org