Re: [xmlblaster-devel] Newbie - xmlBlaster as ICQ like server?

Łukasz Rzepiński wrote:

Hi Łukasz,

Is it possible to use xmlBlaster as instant messanger server?

Probably, but i don't know about all the requirements for a message server.

We have a little chat demo in
 xmlBlaster/demo/javaclients/chat/README
which even talks to you.
We sometimes use it for xmlBlaster developer discussions.

Further we have a graphical chat
 xmlBlaster/demo/javaclients/graphical/README
which is very cool to make drawings over the internet (e.g. for design
discussions) where many can participate in real time.

Last not least we have a SVG based real time internet chess where
as many as wanted can watch or participate
xmlBlaster/demo/javaclients/svg/rhino/README

These are some 'related' xmlBlaster based demos.

If so I have got some newbie (well I have been reading docs for a week
but some tutorials are really needed)

Yep, have have planned to write a tutorial next month (if not other things come inbetween).

I cannot find how to create new user and password from a client that
can be remembered: ICQ like servers API usually has some
Register(login,password) function which causes server to write login,
password file.
I cannot find any function of this type here just in TestSuite
FileUtil was used but is it proper method to create htpasswd files?

the authentication/authorization/acounting (AAA) plugin framework handles users.
We don't have any sophisticated user management backend.
But we have a LDAP plugin, you could install OpenLDAP and
handle all your users there and xmlBlaster check the LDAP server for authentication.
Read
xmlBlaster/src/java/org/xmlBlaster/authentication/plugins/ldap/README
xmlBlaster/demo/ldap/README
The nice thing with LDAP is that other software can reuse the user informations.

You can extend the LDAP plugin to support creating/deleting users
from a xmlBlaster client, but there are many free graphical tools for this task
in the internet.