Re: [xmlblaster-devel] UDP messages

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Michal Masa wrote:

> > Isn't it a problem in terms of reliability of delivery of the messages by
> > using UDP?
>
> Yes, you are right. We want to use UDP only for some specific messages where
> losses can be tolerated.
> I was thinking about new SOCKETUDP protocol that would extend the original
> SOCKET.
> In sendUpdate method, it would search the message qos for <clientProperty
> name='udp' type='boolean'>true</clientProperty>.
> Such messages would be transmitted via UDP. It should also listen for UDP
> messages.
> Any other ideas that would better conform to the whole system concept?

How much performance gain do you expect?
I mean is it worth using UDP in opposition to TCP?

I've no idea how much the latency should decrease by just using UDP
instead of TCP.

I'm not quite sure, but shouldn't it be possible to just replace the
TCP-specific part in the SOCKET implementation by some UDP related code?

cheers

Heinrich