[xmlblaster] possible bug in security plugin or MsgUnitRaw.getMsgUnit()

I made good progress implementing my protocol via security plugins.
However, I've recently run into the following situation. A client
publishes messages via publishArr to a PSQ slaves, which forwards it
on to a PSQ master. The security plugin within the PSQ master
intercepts the publishArr message, and gives

  MsgUnitRaw msg

as a parameter to the importMessage method. Since my code needs access
to KeyData and QosData, I'm calling

 MsgUnit mu =  msg.getMsgUnit()

The problem is that mu is always null.

Any clues why this would be ?