Re: New performance peak: 405 message/sec

Hi Jerry,

nice to hear from you!

> Hello Marcel....
>
> FIRST:
> Thank you for your performance measurements.  Thank you (and the other
> authors) for your open software project.
>
> TOPIC:
> I'd be interested in knowing just how theese measurements are made, So
> I can eveluate
> what they mean.  What I would like to know is what is a "thoeretical"
> maximum number
> of messages that the XMLBlaster can handle per-second.

I don't know myself.

It also depends on the access protocol of the
different clients (i measured with CORBA, but
RMI or XML-RPC could be measured as well).

> By theoretical I mean the maximum number of messages you can push
> through on a given machine.  The clients (Publishers and Subscribers)
> usually are the bottlenecks and if I understood how you did this test,
> you used only one publisher, and only one subcriber, and they both ran
> on the same machine!
>
> What I suggest is using a machine for XMLBlaster, and other machines
> for the clients, to test what XMLBlaster can do!
>
> I would also be interested in how well XMLBlaster uses multiple CPU's.
>
> This sort of test may seem unrealistic, I even stated that the clients
> are the bottlenecks.
> But the sort of system I envision, (maybe with XMLBlaster at the core)
> would have many types
> of messages (>100), where the bottleneck MAY not be a client (due to
> the number of different clients).
>
> SOLUTION:
> But have know fear, I'm not asking you to go out buy the hardware for
> these test, but instead I offer my hadware and my time, and my
> expirience.
>
> My Hardware:
> 1 ABIT BP4 dual celeron 500's with 256mb, with SuSE 7.0
> 1 ABIT BP4 dual celeron 500's with 256mb, with win2000
> 1 GigaByte dual Pentium II 400's with 128mb, with SuSE 7.0 (Router,file
> server,firewall...)
> And a couple of other machines in pieces lying around.
>
> My Time;
> is limited (as is everybody elses), but I do have permission for my
> Employer (ABNAMRO NV Zuerich branch) to help or even join your project
> (using MY free time). But I can included ideas and expiriences made in
> the Bank.

Yes, this would be very valuable input.
Pub/Sub and PtP has for many MOM people slightly different
meanings, feel free to comment on 'our view'
there are always better ways ...

> My Expirience:
> At ABM AMRO zurich, over the last 5 years, I developed a pub/sub core
> system with corresponding applications.  It is called StarGate (long
> before the TV series came out!) for Securities, Treasury And Resources.
>
> The Stargate system LACKS a lot of the advanced features that
> XMLBlaster already has.  But on the other side, it has evolved beyond
> just Publish 'n Subcribe into a new generation of
> system, which we tend to call a "flow based system".  A flow based
> system requires a pub/sub system at it's core, but it places additional
> requirements on the Pub/Sub system.

Interesting, would be nice to here more about this concept.
This could be a playground for you to start with, integrating
some of your requirements into xmlBlaster.

> The Bank unfotunately (it's not in the Software building buisness after
> all) will not budget the changes required to the StarGate system to
> allow it to support theese additional functions.  There are not enough
> future applications for seen to warrant rewritîng the core, and then
> changing all existing applications.  The additional functions will be
> written in to the future applcations themselves (as we do now).
>
> Of course, I want to continue developing leading edge tools and
> systems.  Therefore my "excape" to OpenSoftware and your project.  I've
> been snooping your project for close to a year now.  Although I only
> tried once, I didn't get your software to run on my machine (then SuSE
> 6.4 or maybe even 6.3?).  It was a while ago.

Try with the newest Linux (e.g. SUSE 7.0, Debian, Redhat ...).

Try the current cvs tree (check out with cvs the very
current code, ask your bankers to open the cvs port
in their firewall, it is port 2401, or use SSL tunneling).
You find cvs guidelines on our homepage.
If you start working with the code, this is
definitly the recommended way.

Or wait to the next xmlBlaster release,
it should allow installation in 45 seconds.

> Resolution:
> Since I need to start getting into your system (before I can think
> about joining you all),
> I suggest that with a little bit of help you (all) I could set up
> XMLBlaster on my machines and run it though it's paces.  In this way
> I'll start out supporting the project with something usefull as I learn
> the system.

Sounds good.

> Me:
> Well, my name is Jerry Westrick, born March 20 1959 (am 41),in Tampa
> Fla. USA.  I'm american and more recently also Swiss.  I've been
> programming since 1975 when I started 2 years of (Fortran IV)
> programming in High-School.  I have profesional expirience in many,
> many programming languages (I stopped counting after 12).
> Currently I'm working (on StarGate) with C++/MFC on WINNT 4.0 platform,
> using the Visual Studio development system.  I have NO expirience with
> programming for Linux, and JAVA is not one of the >12 languages.
>
> I want to start developing on Linux in both JAVA and C++, and I have
> PERL expirience (on winnt 4.0).  I would be thankfull for any hints,
> tips and suggestions on what environment I could / should or should not
> use.

You can use any Linux distribution, they are all similar.
The C++ compiler on Linux is excellent (egcs with SGI STL)
Java support on Linux is superb as well.

> Further Actions:
> Are you interested?  Please suggest a game plan.

Shure, just go for it.

thanks,

Marcel

--