Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: jacOrb]]

Mark J Stang wrote:
> Marcel,
> Reading your response brought up a question.   In the client code, where
> do I
> specify which CORBA implementation I am using?   I am writing an XML
> Server.   The server uses dbXML to store the documents.   dbXML can be
> based on jacOrb or OpenOrb.      dbXML is currently running on OpenOrb.
> So I am an OpenOrb CORBA client to dbXML.  I am trying to use xmlBlaster
> for the networking.   This will allow my clients to "subscribe" to database
> changes.   So I am a CORBA Client there also.   However, the version that I
> am using is running on top of jacOrb.   So I am a jacOrb Client.
>
> So, now I am back to my two options:
>
> 1)   Switch everyone to the same CORBA or at least get the clients to
> work with both Orbs at the same time.
>
> 2) Switch out one component and replace it with a non-CORBA implementation.
>
> I am pretty much locked into dbXML, not many open source XML databases...

Hey!  What's that supposed to mean?

> So does anyone think it is possible to get one client to talk to two
> different orbs?
> Or how do I eliminate all traces of jacOrb from my classpath?   By
> eliminating
> all traces, I mean what is imbedded in xmlBlaster that might be in the
> way or
> based on jacOrb?

One of the 'theoretical' beauties of CORBA, especially post-IIOP, but
even with GIOP, is that it should no longer matter what ORB code is at
each end point, so long as IIOP is being used as the wire protocol
between them.  There shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't use the
JacORB libraries to talk to a server being exposed using OpenORB.  Of
course, the complexity and generally nastiness of CORBA doesn't make
this easy.  It is definitely possible to do.

If there's anything I can do to help out, let me know.

--
Tom Bradford - http://www.tbradford.org
Developer - dbXML - http://www.dbxml.org