Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 06:23:39 -0800
From: Jeff Greif <jgreif at alumni.princeton.edu>
To: xindice-users at xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: [xmlblaster] integration of Xindice in xmlBlaster

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kimbro Staken" <kstaken at dbxmlgroup.com>
To: <xindice-users at xml.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 10:48 PM

On Thursday, January 17, 2002, at 12:25 PM, Heinrich Götzger wrote:

> The Testcase (TestPersistenceXindice.java) is mostly developed and ready
> to be commited but it rejects to run because of the two ORBs.

> 1. How to handle BLOB or other binary data?
>    No anwser from xindice-list up to now.
>    -> does it make sense using dbXML at all?

I'm not the right person to give a definitive answer, but I would guess that
the right approach is to get the binary data into the XML documents in an
acceptable way (e.g. base64 encoding).  If you provide well-formed XML
documents to Xindice, any failure to handle will be a simple bug, probably
easily fixed.

You could imagine other possibilities, such as being allowed to specialize
the DOM to have nodes that would hold arbitrary binary data. However, this
would make it difficult to retrieve the document as text/xml -- not
impossible, since the binary nodes could be translated into base64 during
retrieval, but then requiring specialized parser and DOM tools, rather than
off-the-shelf ones.

Jeff