Re: [xmlblaster] Xindice support in 0.8?

Adam,

On 29 Sep 2002, Adam Williams wrote:

> >>Is the 0.8 release capable of using Xindice as the message store or does
> >>one still need HEAD for that?
> >Actually there should not be a difference to earlier releases.
> >Since I don't know how this performs in real live, I would consider this
> >driver still not 100% reliable because I still have no wide experience
> >with it yet. But as far as I can tell it should run fine.
> >I don't know of any bugs.
> >here are some TODOs left, and this is probably the interesting part of
> >the answer, Xindice still needs to be started extra and is not included in
> >the dist-package. And I do don't know if it is running with the latest CVS
> >of Xindice. These Xindice guys doing lots of 'moving' work in the core.
> >I'd recommend Xindice 1.0 (Birthday) for the time being.
>
> Thats what I grabbed.  There are no "back-ends" other than file and
> Xindice?
Right, only FileDriver and Xindice. But we do have a
PersistencePluginInterface, which can be used to develop some new
PersistencePlugin. If you think the Interface needs some adjustment,
let's talk about.

> >Sorry that there ain't no more good news.
> >But I've got really bad news as well:
> >Right now some stuff in the internal ClassLoader seem to be broken,
> >therefore no XMLDBPlugin is loadable at all. I'm investigating...
>
> I want to use xmlBlaster primarily via XML-RPC to integrate a rather
> large collection of legacy applications written in AcuCOBOL, C, and
> Informix 4gl with a new web application written (at least the front end)
> in PHP.  At this point I don't need to use any protocol other than
> XML-RPC but the message volume may be fairly high at times (~250
> messages a second) and nil at other times.
~250 msg/sec is close to the limit Xindice can store on my system.

But this is only for durable messages.

> Is xmlBlaster at a stage where it can be used with something like this?
> My primary concern is the backend as the FAQ mentions that the file one
> should not be used beyond a few hundred messages.
I'd recommend doing some simple tests.
Try some od the testclasses to have a simple subscriber to blast messages
into the system and see how it performs.

There have been some discussion about performance recently in the
mailinglist. Please check the list archiv from the webpage for more
information.

> Our initial testing will be on Linux, but a nice RS/6000 with a gig of
> RAM will probably be used if it goes production.  I assume xmlBlaster is
> happy on AIX using their JVM?

regards

Heinrich