Re: [xmlblaster] XmlBlaster with Java WebStart

Hi Nelson,

inEvo wrote:
Hi Michele,

First of all thank you for your reply :)

Just some more questions .. since this is a WebStart application can the client receive/send messages from/to sources other than the server were it resides? And what about if the client is using a firewall? Wich protocols can be tunneled through it?

You can send and receive messages to/from everywhere.

If you have a firewall but you can get out to via a port, you can use SOCKET in its default configuration. That way callbacks will be tunneled back using the same connection.

If you are in a network behind a firewall and the only way out is through a proxy, then I believe the only option in the current implementation would be to use the applet which would use the proxing of the browser.

We have lookted at the possibility of modifying the http protocol to be able to handle connections via a proxy but until now nothing has been done in that direction yet.

Cheers
Michele

regards Nelson

Michele wrote:

Hi Nelson,

I think this is straightforward.

Write your own code needed for your client and package it into a jar file (in the following example 'furtherJar.jar'). Then put the xmlBlaster.jar distribution jar (or the one you compile yourself) and the furtherJar.jar file in the document directory of your web server.

On the same put a file like the following 'application.jnlp':

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- JNLP File for ePIB -->
<jnlp spec="1.0+"
codebase="http://youraddress.com"; href="application.jnlp">
<information>
<title>My Own XmlBlaster Application</title>
<vendor>My Company</vendor>
<homepage href="index.html"/>
<description>Some Description here</description>
<description kind="short">APPL</description>
<icon href="BeautifulImage.gif"/>
<offline-allowed/>
</information>
<security>
<all-permissions/>
</security>
<resources>
<j2se version="1.4+" initial-heap-size="64M" max-heap-size="512M"/>
<jar href="xmlBlaster.jar"/>
<jar href="furtherJar.jar"/>
</resources>
<application-desc main-class="MyMainClass"/>
</jnlp>

If you are using apache as a webserver put into

httpd.conf:

AddType application/x-java-jnlp-file .JNLP

for further details about webstart:

http://www.logemann.org/articles/javawebstart.php

inEvo wrote:

Hi,

I was thinking of developing a distributed application using JMS, but the lack of support for native clients in languages other than JAVA put me off.
So i turned to XmlBlaster...

I'de just like to know if anyone has developed a XmlBlaster client using JavaWebStart? Better yet ... a server? If so could you give me some pointers or example code?

Thank you in advance for any help regarding this subject.

Best regards,

Nelson