Re: [xmlblaster] Change xmlBlaster to JDK 1.5 (and above) only

Hi,

looking forward in terms of develompent is a good idea, I think. So I
would appreciate such a step.

But nevertheless there are some concerns or questions raising up:

1. We would freeze features and functions of xmlBlaster for JDK 1.4 and
older to Release 1.0.7, correct?

2. If 1. applies, how would we handle bugfixing for the 1.0.7 part? We
would need to think about a branching strategy.

3. If 1. applies, what if we want features of the leeding edge
development having back in the 'old' part? We would need a back port
don't we?

Cheers

Heinrich

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Michele wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As a developer I am favorable to such a step. It offers more
> possibilities for the development but I see the strongest benefit in
> having a reduced maintainance effort particularly when it comes to testing.
>
> Some of the question I rise however are:
>
> 1. Are there any platforms/environments for which we know there is no
> jdk1.5 available (for example as far as I know there is no jdk1.5 from
> IBM) ?
>
> 2. Shall we keep the client library be jdk1.4 compliant ?
>
> 3. If 2. applies, shall we keep backwards compatibility for a mixed
> environment for example an "old" client running on a jdk1.4 and a "new"
> server running on jdk1.5 ?
>
> Michele
>

> the I am favorable to such a
> Marcel Ruff wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > we would like to migrate xmlBlaster to JDK 1.5 or above only
> > to have the many more possibility available there.
> > The last JDK1.3 backward compatible release will be 1.0.7.
> >
> > This covers the Java server and client implementation.
> >
> > If there are any concerns with this migration please
> > respond to the xmlblaster at server.xmlBlaster.org mailing list
> > until latest Friday Oct, 14 2005.
> >
> > Please note any details with your concerns so we can
> > discuss solutions in depth.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Marcel

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Heinrich Götzger
--
Heinrich Götzger, Dipl.-Inform. (FH)              Exploding Systems GmbH
fon: +49-170-9334400                                   Rheingutstraße 45