Re: Newbie with newbie Problems...

> Jerry at Westrick.com wrote:
>
> Hello All...
>
> Preamble
> I'm trying to get XMLBLASTER to work, so I can join you all...
> unfortunately my LINUX development expirience can be listed by "cat
> /dev/null".

That should be enough.

> My linux expirience is better (at least a little) but mostly on the
> operating/installation side. (setting up file-servers, firewalls,
> routes, etc).
>
> I'm an Expirience developer, but new to linux...
>
> Problem
> Get xmlBlaster (CVS) to run on my machine.
>
> Steps Taken:
>
>   1. Got cvs downloaded as described in HTML on your website. (did this as
>              user "jerry")

I did not know that this is possible as user jerry.

>   2. Installed IBM JDK 1.3 using YAST (SuSE 7.0).  Confirmed with "java
>              -version"
>
>   3. Executed "export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jdk1.3" to create java home... (was
>              not defined)
>
>   4. su root, "cp config/orb.properties $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/orb.properties"
>              because "jerry" did not have write/create permission.
>
>   5. Execued "java -jar lib/xmlBlaster.jar" as user jerry and got error:
>              "Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from
>              lib/xmlBlaster.jar"...
>
> Further investigation shows that the xmlblaster.jar does not exist on
> my machine...
>
> Assumptions
> I Assume the the xmlBlaster.jar is part of the "executable"
> distribution and not part of CVS?

Exactly, with cvs we don't keep binaries,
you have to compile it.

Put these two lines into your $HOME/.profile or $HOME/.bashrc
(whichever is used with your distribution)

  export XMLBLASTER_HOME=/home/jerry/xmlBlaster
  . ${XMLBLASTER_HOME}/.bashrc

(don't miss the dot) and login again.

Compile it:

   cd xmlBlaster
   make all

> I looked in to the second installation method, (acutally the one I need
> to use...) but it speaks of Extending a bunch of JAVA environment
> variables which are not defined!
>
> Question 1
> Since not a single JAVA_... environment variable was defined, I guess
> my java development environment is not correctly installed....
> (Correct?).  Or is it that in a Virgin environment I'm just to define
> theese?
>
> Question 2
> I realise that this question is placed in the wrong newsgroup but....
> where do I put theese exports so they get exectued at login?
>
> Thanking you in advance for your time
> Newbie Jerry
>
> P.S.
> Is it okay to HTML to format theese messages?  I don't see anyone else
> doing it!  Is this
> another NO NO?
I don't care.

good luck,